We all know food is essential for life, but did you know certain foods optimize your health? In simple words, your power meals have a significant impact on your health. So, you must include ‘superfoods’ in your diet to live healthier and longer. We have listed 10 superfoods that provide nutrition, health benefits, and energy.
Around 2500 years ago, Hippocrates said: “Let food be thy medicine, and let medicine be thy food.”
The 2015-2020 US Dietary Guidelines suggest healthy food choices and eating patterns for vital health benefits and chronic disease improvements. A nutritionally dense diet helps you to sustain health and feel better.
Here are the top 10 superfoods loaded with health benefits-
Blueberries– Loaded with health benefits, blueberries are nutritionists’ favorite delicacies. These super berries are packed with antioxidants and nutrients such as vitamin K, vitamin C, manganese, and fiber. Eating blueberries can help you-
- strengthen your metabolism
- increase immunity
- improve insulin sensitivity
- fight cancerous cells
- reduce risk factors of heart disease
- lower blood pressure
- improve memory and brain function
These berries are not only tasty but also healthy. Thus, eating a bowl of blueberries can help you improve and maintain your overall health.
Green Tea- What’s the prime benefit of drinking green tea? The most common answer is it helps in weight loss. Surprisingly, the right answer is, it fights and even prevents cell damage. Moreover, it is one of the healthiest drinks for the following reasons.
Green tea can help-
- improve blood flow
- prevent a range of heart-diseases
- reduce inflammation
- support brain function
- fight against risk factors of Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease
- keep blood sugar stable
All these reasons make green tea the super beverage that promotes health and wellbeing.
Oysters– Are you fond of oysters? No matter if you love eating the briny meat or not, you must start doing so. Why? They are highly nutritious and have a lot to contribute in terms of health benefits. Here’s how oysters can promote wellness-
- helps regulate hormones
- supports the health of cells
- fights against risk factors leading to diabetes
- keeps your heart healthy
- promotes muscle growth and repair
- enhances skin softness and makes it supple
Although oysters are rich sources of proteins, vitamins, antioxidants, iron, zinc, and other nutrients, some potential concerns exist. So, you must consult a nutritionist before consuming oysters regularly.
Spinach- Remember how Popeye, the Sailor Man, could gain immense strength after eating spinach? You can also prevent health conditions and live a quality life by intaking the leafy nutrient-rich green vegetables. The superfood has an abundance of iron, carotenoids, vitamins, calcium, and magnesium. Below are some of the best health benefits of spinach-
- slows the aging process
- helps reduce the risk of cancer and diabetes
- promotes eye health
- improves metabolism and stimulate immunity
- rejuvenates skin and prevents acne
- aids in weight loss
Want glowing skin, a healthy body, and an active brain? Spinach is a superfood that improves your health in multiple ways.
Broccoli- Did you know broccoli has its origins in the wild mustard plant? The popular and widely eaten ‘miniature tree’ superfood is an excellent source of iron, potassium, calcium, selenium, magnesium, vitamins, and many more nutrients. Want to learn some real health benefits of eating broccoli? We have listed some below-
- keeps your joints and bones healthy
- manages symptoms of schizophrenia
- lowers the risk of cardiovascular disease
- reduces cell damage
- decreases the chances of getting eye disorders
- helps in cancer treatment and prevention
You can consume this superfood raw, cooked, or streamed. However, you need to ask a nutritionist if you’re dealing with some health problems.
Kale- How often do you see kale on your dining table? If not much, then you must start eating one of the healthiest foods around. This superfood offers numerous health benefits. A few of them are-
- It’s a weight-friendly food
- It holds cancer-preventive properties
- It prevents or even reverses premature-aging
- It’s good for the heart and eye health
- It lowers cholesterol
- It promotes digestion
- It prevents osteoporosis
So, add kale to your diet through salads or use it in your recipes. Load yourself with nutrients by consuming this superfood.
Pomegranate- Which is your favorite fruit? Is it pomegranate? If yes, great! If not, it will surely be after you learn its amazing benefits for your health. The ruby-red fruit falls in the category of superfoods for the following reasons-
- It improves visual and verbal memory
- It regulates blood flow and pumps oxygen in your blood
- It combats heart diseases
- It prevents strokes and heart attacks
- It improves insulin resistance
- It reduces inflammation
- It helps to relieve symptoms of immune-related disorders
- It lowers psychological stress
- It benefits athletic performance
You can either eat the fruit or drink it as juice, it will nourish your skin, body, and promote mental health.
Watermelon- Watermelon is one of the most loved summer fruits. Besides keeping you hydrated on hot days, this superfood offers plenty of health benefits. Let’s learn how this lowest calories fruit can promote wellness. Watermelon can-
- help in weight loss
- prevent cell damage
- help prevent cancer
- improve heart health
- protect joints from inflammation and reduce muscle soreness
- prevent rheumatoid arthritis
- keep your eyes healthy
- make your skin soft, smooth, and supple
- curb blood glucose levels
- improve exercise performance
You may be surprised by the number of health benefits you can get by just adding super fruit to your diet.
Chia & flax Seeds- Ever wondered if seeds are nutritious and can be superfoods? You’ll be amazed to learn chia and flax seeds are the best examples of such superfoods. Still not convinced? The following reasons would probably make you introduce both the super seeds in your daily diet. Chia seeds and flax seeds-
- are rich in an array of nutrients
- are excellent sources of bone-strengthening components
- lower the chance of getting health conditions associated with the heart
- lower blood sugar levels and help curb diabetes
- reduce the risks of developing a certain type of cancers such as colon or breast cancer
- help in digestion
Make sure you start consuming chia and flax seeds as a part of your diet. You can add them to different foods such as yogurt, drinks, and salads and make boring food delicious!
Walnuts – Are you taking dry fruits, especially walnuts, in your daily diet? Studies suggest that eating a handful of walnuts can boost your health and improve certain conditions. Rich in vitamins, walnuts offer many nutritional benefits that can-
- help lower cholesterol levels
- ease inflammation that may lead to heart diseases
- reduce or eliminate the risk of developing blood clots
- help ward off some types of cancer
- promote a healthy gut
You can eat these nuts as snacks and even as a topping for other drinks or foods.
However, you must consume these superfoods in moderate quantities. Also, if you are allergic to some foods, consult a nutritionist or a dietician for alternate superfoods. You can learn more about the right foods, healthy eating habits, tasty recipes, and get planned meals to maximize the benefits of superfoods.
However, a single nutritionist visit may involve hundreds of dollars. But don’t let money be the only barrier to healthy living. Choose the best dietitians and nutritionists financing such as Denefits that help you afford the costly services.